Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Seasonal Lament of a Partier Gone

By Rick Williams


It's not the same as it used to be;
times and people change.
I'd like to think it's not just me
whose life has rearranged.

Every weekend I could find
a party to attend;
a time to revel and unwind
from the week at work I'd spend.

But as we paired and found our mates
the parties became rare.
Our schedules never had blank dates
and we had no time to spare.

The parties did sometimes take place
but never like they were.
They had a more relaxing pace,
but at least they'd still occur.

Time and change can take its toll;
some marriages come undone,
and couples that are no longer whole
the hosts will almost shun.

It's a terribly hard job for a host
to have to pick and choose.
Which of the two do they like the most
or should they just invite them both for booze?

When parties are fewer,
and as we all age and change;
I sometimes feel bluer,
and distanced, and strange.

It's worse during holidays;
things are hectic as hell,
and I need badly to find ways
to socialize for a spell.

I could step up and be the one
and have a party here,
but even though I want some fun
too many "can't" appear.

I guess it's just the way things go
nothing stays the same.
I'll just tell my tale of woe
in this poem it became.

No comments: