Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Thank-you to Gwen

By Rick Williams


Our bridges, metaphorically, have spanned
a lot that's shaped our lives
experiences that have flowed beneath
have placed wisdom behind our eyes.

I wish still had details from
how and when we met
but these days I find it's harder
to remember than forget.

The things you recommend I do
when I'm spouting 'woe is me'
are all good things I need to hear
but I'm too damned blind to see.

I know that I'm a selfish man
I've always leaned that way
Unfortunately, I'm much more 'me' than 'we'
in decisions made each day.

I'd like to think I've gotten better
as I've aged and learned
but once again I ran right smack
into a lecture that I earned.

So if you see me at it again
with my self-centered line of thought
Feel free to let me have it with
both barrels--hold back naught.

No comments: