Sunday, September 15, 2013

Let Me Be Me

by Rick Williams


It's fair to say that I repress
to shy from confrontation.
A lot of things I'd like to say
I don't in resignation.

Can men not wear upon their heads
more than one hat in life?
Can we not be multifaceted
or complex to our wife?

I'm just as guilty with my ways
and my lack of willingness;
I like to lag and do my thing
and socially regress.

I think of things I'd like to do
And shrug a mental sigh.
What's the use when outcomes are
"a waste" in others' eye?

If I like to do some things manually
like chopping foods by hand;
should I be made to feel I'm weird
and have my actions panned?

People, like snowflakes: no two the same
and I think it's just as well.
If we held a party and everyone showed,
"Which one is me?" So hard to tell.

Count the things we have in common
and embrace the things we share.
Don't put our differences on a list
and use it to compare.

I will never be like you
nor will you be like me.
So go ahead and roll your eyes
and let me please be me.

No comments: